How to build wood steps
Building wood steps is not difficult. If you have some basic carpentry skills, you can build wood steps and save money instead of paying someone to build wood steps for you.
There are three main componets to build wood steps: Stringers, risers and treads.
* Stringers are usually cut from 2 X 12's. They are sloped boards that carry the weight of the people that are walking on them. They support the entire structure.
* Risers are the vertical boards that connect the front of one tread to the back of the tread below it.
* Treads are the portion of the step on which you place your feet. The tread length is measured from the outer edge of the step to the vertical riser.
Before you start to build wood steps, it is crucial to do a layout. Laying out your stairs stringers is so important before actually building. This is where alot of people who attempt to build make their biggest mistake. The layout will tell you how many risers are required and what the vertical distance between them should be. Measuring the distance between the deck or floor (depending on whether you are building your wood steps for indoor or outdoor) determines the rise of each step. The total distance is known as the total rise.
Some important steps in your layout should be as follows:
* Determining the thickness of the stair tread
* Laying out the height of the top surface. This will help you to make accurate cuts in the stringers. (Don't cut the boards with the riser height. That will cause the top tread to be around an inch higher when it meets the surface)
* Determine a starting point
* Figure out what your tread widths are going to be.
Tools that you will need to build wood steps:
* Masking tape
* Measuring tape
* Circular saw
* Hand saw
* 4' level
* Framing square
* Carpenter's pencil
Also you need to determine the type of wood you are going to use to build your wood steps. It is important to choose the right wood. It makes a huge difference in their lifespan and style.
Knowing how to build wood steps is really not that difficult. You just need to know the process, have a proper layout and the right tools. Knowing the process of how to build wood steps will help you build an attractive, sturdy set of of steps that have a comfortable tread and consistent rise
For more information on how to build wood steps and to see layouts, check out our website
Learn how to build wood steps