What is FamZoo
FamZoo is a family friendly web site that helps parents teach children the practical skills they’ll need to thrive in the real world. Our learn-by-doing online tools include:
- A virtual family bank for teaching money basics, managing allowances & chores, setting budgets, tracking savings goals, encouraging charitable giving, and much more.
- Family checklists for making and sharing lists of all kinds: weekly chores, ToDos, homework assignments, groceries ... you name it!
Using FamZoo together, families build strong financial, social, and organizational habits in a safe, friendly environment.
Why Use FamZoo
Any of these sound familiar?
- My child always “needs” something at the checkout stand.
- I always feel like I’m handing over money to my kids as they rush out the door.
- We’re always arguing about buying new clothes.
- My kids don’t seem to appreciate all of the “hidden” expenses that I pick up for them like texting, music downloads, broken cell phones, gaming subscriptions, etc.
- My kids have no trouble whatsoever when it comes to spending my money.
- I’m not sure my kids appreciate the cost of big ticket items like laptops, iPhones, or even, gulp, college.
- It seems like now is a good time to get my kids involved in charitable giving.
- I never seem to know what homework my kids have and when (or if) they’ve even done it.
- I’m tired of nagging my kids to make their beds and pick up their rooms.
FamZoo is here to help
Using FamZoo, you can teach your children to:
- Live within their means by spending wisely.Plan for the future by saving patiently.
- Contribute to the world around them by giving thoughtfully.
- Set and achieve goals by getting organized.
By the time your kids are young adults, they’ll be prepared and ready to graduate to the real world with confidence.
Hey, I’m a Kid, What’s in it for me?
- Get your allowance on time, every time. Do your parents forget to give you your allowance or avoid giving you one altogether because it’s too much of a hassle? FamZoo makes allowances automatic.
- Lose the lectures. Tired of arguing with your parents about money? Take the emotion out of money discussions with FamZoo. Work out a regular allowance with your parents based on a budget that you both agree on ahead of time.
- Take charge. Do your parents question everything you purchase? With an agreed upon budget and general spending guidelines, your parents are more likely to give you greater control over how and when you spend money.
- Save money faster. With FamZoo, your parents can encourage you to save by allowing your money to grow at a more rapid rate than a traditional bank. Learn the magic of compound interest and the rewards of good saving habits without waiting around forever.
- Make the world a better place. If you direct even a small portion of your allowance every week to a worthy cause, you can make a big difference over time.
How Does It Work?
As the registering parent, you pick a unique family name along with sign-in names and secure passwords for each member of your family.
The Virtual Family Bank
Once registered, you can quickly set up your own private virtual family bank. It’s like financial training wheels for your child: a hands-on way to learn financial basics by trial and error in a forgiving environment without the expense, risk, and complexity of a real world financial institution.
Within your virtual bank, you can create any number of spending, savings, and charitable accounts for any number of children. Each account holds virtual dollars. In other words, the current balance in an account represents an IOU between you and your child. Your real money stays where it is until you are ready to make a purchase on your child’s behalf or distribute it to your child in whatever form you find most convenient: cash, debit card, or a transfer to a real bank account.
When real money does change hands, you adjust the virtual account balance accordingly. Your child might hand you a birthday check or babysitting wages, which you would then credit to their FamZoo account. Or if you’re out shopping and your child wants to make a purchase with their FamZoo funds, you buy the item and then debit their FamZoo account. Enter amounts on our web site or from your cell phone if you’re on the go.
If you create a FamZoo allowance for your child, the designated accounts are automatically credited on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis. For example, you may wish to split a weekly allowance so that 80% flows to a spending account, 10% to a savings account, and 10% to a charitable giving account. FamZoo allowances are easy and convenient: no need to remember to hand out the allowance and no chance for the money to get lost or to be spent without your knowledge.
As parents, you are the managers of your family bank. You define its policies to encourage behavior that is consistent with your family’s unique set of values.
You can create family checklists to keep track of all kinds of things. Here are just a few examples:
- Keep your personal ToDos on a private checklist. Send yourself reminders when items are due.
- Have your child enter homework assignments on a checklist that is shared with you. Get notified whenever your child checks one off (even when you’re on the road).
- Create a checklist of chores that is tied to your virtual family bank. Credit your child’s account whenever a chore is completed (or perhaps debit the account whenever the chore is evaded!)
- Make a checklist for grocery items. Share it with the rest of the family so everyone can add items as needed. Send it to a mobile phone so your spouse can swing by the store on the way home.
How Much Does FamZoo Cost?
The first two months of FamZoo are free.
You don’t have to enter your credit card number or any other payment info to try FamZoo with your family.
There are lots of ways to extend your free experience. Try searching around a bit.
After the free trial period, FamZoo is $5.99 a month for your whole family. That’s if you choose to pay each month. If you choose one of our prepaid plans, you can get FamZoo for as little as $2.50 a month. That’s just $30 a year.
Try FamZoo with your family now.
Is FamZoo really worth it?
Yes, we think you’ll find our prices to be very fair. Just test drive FamZoo for a couple of months, and find out for yourself without risking a single penny.
Why? We’ve lovingly hand-crafted the software ourselves to help you teach your children solid habits in a warm, safe environment. Our software has personality. It’ll make you chuckle every once in a while.Most importantly, it’s effective, and it’s easy.Once you start using FamZoo with your family, you’ll feel so much better about the role you’re playing in preparing your child for the real world. You’ll be a much more consistent mentor, and you’ll see just how little effort that takes with FamZoo.
Try it, we think you’ll like it. And, yes, you can always cancel anytime if you don’t.
If you do like FamZoo, you’ll be in good company. Our current members really dig it. Seriously. See what they’re saying about FamZoo.
Finally, consider this: how many of the following expenses do you incur?
Monthly basic cable service..................................$71/month
Daily coffee habit (just plain coffee, no fancy stuff!)......$30/month
If you’re like us, you might be searching for the “check all” box about now. (Well, ok, maybe not you dads with that last one...)
Of course, we’re not asking you to give these things up! (Hey, we wouldn’t want to be hypocrites.) But, just consider for a moment:which one of your regular expenses is also helping you to connect with your child, pass along your values, and teach essential living skills? And, what’s at stake if you aren’t doing that regularly?
Kinda puts $2.50 in perspective.
What’s with the whole subscription thing anyway? How come it isn’t free?
Hey, we’re parents too! We’ve got mouths to feed, kids to put through school, spouses to make up to when we’re in the dog house, and daily coffee habits to fuel our late-night software geek-fests. Not all of our employees work for free. Do you? If so, by all means, contact us right away!
And, despite what some folks seem to think, good software and friendly service don’t actually grow on trees.
Well, if you need revenue, why don’t you just display ads instead? Don’t you geezers get the whole "Web Two Oh" thing?
Yeah, we sort of get it, but ads just don’t fit the mission. Ads are all about buying on impulse and doing zany things to grab tons of “eyeballs”. That’s just not consistent with what we’re all about. Sometimes, you just have to stick to your principles. If that means a small to medium sized membership of passionate and dedicated families, that’s just fine. It also means we can deliver better, more personalized service.
My free trial is up, but I’d really like to keep using FamZoo with my family, and I just can’t afford another expense right now. What are my options?
We firmly believe that teaching kids solid habits and encouraging parents to be effective mentors is important for all families, regardless of financial standing.If you really can’t afford FamZoo right now, just contact us, tell us your situation, and we’ll try to work something out.