| Enter your zip to find stuff near you
This classified ad has expired
Click here to view current advertisements similar to this one.
I. General Overview:
The Sr Business Intelligence Developer is primarily responsible for the development and
maintenance of reporting, querying and analysis solutions across the enterprise. This role must
clearly understand the informational needs as well as the database environment in order to
deliver accurate, timely and flexible solutions to the business and provide timely progress and
status reports to the Manager of BI.
Customer is a data-rich environment. The overall purpose of this role is to ensure that that
data is presented properly so that it provides valuable information in support of key business
decisions. The specific purposes of this role are:
: work closely with database and reporting technicians to build and support the information
: collect and analyze information requirements from users: translate those into effective
solutions and clearly communicate those to technicians
: ensure that users know what information is available to them and that they utilize that
information in a manner that benefits the company
: own and support Customer internal Applications
: provide strategic technology direction while still maintaining the needs of the business
: develop, maintain, manage Cognos, SSRS, Access queries and reports
: develop, maintain, manage Dimensional models and SSIS packages
III. Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities:
1. Design enterprise and departmental Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing and Reporting
solutions as per the needs of the business.
2. Work with BI Manager to define BI/DW strategies and execute tasks and projects in
accordance with those strategies
3. Provide status on the issues and progress of key business projects to Business Stakeholders
4. Maintain information in Customer's Data Dictionary
5. Develop and implement reports and queries to help drive business processes.
6. Support and advise DBA's on proper database security models.
7. Provide technical and business knowledge support to IT and users. This can be via informal
discussions and via formalized training.
8. Allocate work to the appropriate resource and track progress of projects and tickets.
9. Fill Ad-Hoc data and reporting requests.
10. Meet & Discuss with Users to ensure effective communication of user requirements to be
11. Build Report prototype based on initial business requirement.
IV. Required Skills
1. SQL Development on multiple DB Platforms (SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, Sybase, mySQL)
(minimum 5 years)
2. ETL Development - SSIS 2008R2 preferred, but other packages such as Informatica and
DataStage acceptable (minimum 4 years)
3. Data Modeling - Dimensional and Transactional (minimum 4 years)
4. Cognos versions 7, 8 and 10 (minimum 2 years)
5. SQL Server Reporting Services a plus (SSRS 2008R2)
6. MS Access and Excel reporting a plus
7. Other BI/Reporting packages a plus (OBIEE, Microstrategy)
8. Experience with Open Source solutions a plus (BIRT, Talend, Jaspersoft, Pentaho)
9. Experience in an AS/400 (IBM System i) environment a plus
V. Leadership Competencies:
1. Customer Orientation
Demonstrates a strong bias toward service, quality and customer satisfaction.
2. Personal Leadership
Identifies a meaningful goal and captures the imagination of others to achieve it. Empowers
others, builds confidence and demonstrates a positive and energizing style. Is able to manage
through ambiguity and uncertainty.
3. Business Acumen
Provides insight of new technologies that can help reduce time and cost of maintaining and
developing existing/new projects.
4. Team Player
Takes a collaborative approach by openly discussing issues in a way that brings out the best
thinking, attitude and performance in others. Works effectively and productively with shared
responsibilities. Considers the effect of decisions on other part of the company.
5. Innovation/Risk Taker
Willing to explore new possibilities and approach issues differently. Focuses on a desire to
achieve a goal rather than a fear of failure.
6. Results Orientation
Stays the course from start to finish. Does not confuse effort with results. Separates what is
important from what is not. Demonstrates a persistent bias for action.
Has an uncomplicated and uncompromising understanding of right from wrong, both publicly
and privately. Values a fair playing field for everyone, and demonstrates courage of conviction
for what they believe.
8. Strategic Thinker
Anticipates future trends and directional shifts in the relevant marketplace, industry and
environment. Able to construct meaningful competitive strategies for addressing the knowns
and unknowns of future business scenarios.
9. Interpersonal Skills
Is other-oriented rather than focused on self. Listens effectively and communicates ideas and
opinions clearly. Is assertive while showing respect and positive regard for others. Demonstrates
an appreciation for people with different backgrounds and points of view. Ability to facilitate
meetings and communicate in an effective manner.