Chicken tortilla soup crockpot recipe
This is great crockpot recipe for the winter time.
* 1 whole roasting chicken (about 3-4 pounds), rinsed, giblets removed.
* 5 cups of chicken broth. (I like to use the reduced sodium broth)
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 large clove of garlic (minced)
* 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
* 1 can of diced tomatoes
* 1 can of diced mild chilies with liquid
* 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 lime
* 1 avocado, diced and divided
* 1/2 cup of lightly salted tortilla strips
* Place chicken, broth, onion, garlic and cumin in crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours. Chicken should be tender and easily fall off of the bones. Remove chicken from broth. Check for bones also. Set aside chicken to cool. Meanwhile, skim fat from top of broth and throw away
* When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred using 2 forks. Return chicken meat to broth along with diced tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro and juice of lime
* Cover; cook on high for 45 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Put the soup into bowls and add some avocado and tortilla strips.
This makes for a great chicken tortilla soup crockpot recipe
See many other tasty crockpot recipes here
Need some laughs, check out my funny facebook status update blog