If you have a new food processor and are itching to try it out on a hearty and delicious recipe, try this thick vegetable soup. Sure to please on any cool day.
Creamy Root Vegetable Soup
- 1/2 pound onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-2 leeks (about 6-inches of white part), cleaned, dried and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled
- 1-1/4 pounds parsnips, peeled
- 1-1/4 pounds turnips, peeled
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½-1 cup heavy or light cream, optional chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnish
Place the onions, leeks, and garlic in the Cuisinart® Food Processor fitted with the metal "s" blade. Pulse 10 to 15 times to chop. Remove and reserve. Insert the medium (4-mm) slicing disc. Use medium pressure to slice the potatoes, parsnips, and turnips.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the onions become translucent, do not brown. Add the wine and cook for 5 minutes. When the foam subsides, add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes - do not brown. Add the stock, water, sliced potatoes, parsnips, turnips and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover loosely, and simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Strain the solids from the liquid and transfer the liquid to a clean saucepan.
Working in batches as necessary, purée the soup solids in your Cuisinart food processor fitted with the metal "s" blade with some of the liquid, until completely smooth and creamy, about 30 to 40 seconds. After puréeing each batch, add to the cooking liquid in the clean saucepan. Heat for a few minutes over low heat, and stir in optional cream if using. Reheat soup over low heat, and season with more salt to taste, white pepper and fresh lemon juice. Serve in warm bowls and garnish with chopped fresh chives or parsley.
Making Soup Is Easy With The Right Tools
One thing that I have found, is that I am a lot more willing to tackle recipes like this that have a lot of chopping, if I have the right tools available. If you love cooking and are thinking about a new food processor, consider the Cuisinart SmartPower Duet. Cuisinart is known for its excellent-quality appliances and they really turned out a winner here.
Although food processors can be pricey, check out the savings on the Cuisinart Smart Power Duet here. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.