|Enter your zip to find stuff near you|
This classified ad has expiredClick here to view current advertisements similar to this one.
Wind turbineWhat is a wind turbine?
turbine is also referred to as a windmill or wind generator. Though the
terms are used interchangeably, there is a minor difference. The wind
turbine is the device that makes use of the wind energy to produce
mechanical energy. This mechanical energy is then used as is or
converted into electrical energy. A windmill uses the mechanical energy
as is for pumping out water or for grinding purposes whereas the wind
generator is the one that produces electrical energy.
What are the different types of wind turbines?
Wind turbines are classified into two kinds based on their orientation:
• Horizontal axis turbines – The blades in these wind turbines rotate along a horizontal axis.
• Vertical axis turbines – The blades in these turbines rotate along a vertical axis.
The horizontal axis wind turbines are more commonly used. They are more efficient that vertical axis turbines.
What are the advantages of installing a wind turbine?
Let’s look at the major advantages of a wind turbine:
• Power-saving: Since the wind turbines use a free energy, the wind
energy, they prove to be a very cost-effective mechanism for generating
electricity, thus helping not only save power but also generate power
for the world.
• Cost-effective: The only cost involved in installing a wind turbine
is the initial cost and the cost of maintenance. The energy comes free
and there is no other fuel.
• Environment-friendly: The wind turbines are environment friendly in a
way that they do emit harmful gases or affect the environment in any
• Uninterrupted power supply: A wind generator helps you become
independent of government’s electricity supply. Moreover, you overcome
the hurdles of power outages.
What are the factors you should consider for installing a wind turbine?
While installing a wind turbine is extremely beneficial for you and for
the rest of the world, you must take care not to implement the solution
in an incorrect way. You should take into consideration the following
when installing a wind turbine.
Make sure the following two pre-requisites are met:
• The site for installation is at least of one acre area.
• The average wind speed is around 11 miles per hour.
• Make sure the tower and the base are sturdy. It is important to
foresee the turbulence in the wind before you invest in the wind
• Make sure the tower’s height and the distance between the wind generator and the cells are optimum.Make power at
home with solar and wind energy to eliminate your power bill. Get our
complete guide at Earth 4 Energy