Several managers MMAInsider spoke to, including Ken Pavia of MMA Agents, Matt Stansell of NCFC Fight Management, and Cesar Gracie confirmed they had sent notices of breach to Elite as early as Tuesday last week.
Should they be successful in breaking from the defunct company, fifteen fighters will hit the free agent market in late November.
MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday confirmed that Nick Diaz was almost certainly Japan-bound and would fight for Dream (via parent company Fight Entertainment Group) or Sengoku sometime on or around the New Year.
Another fighter from Elite's roster, Eddie Alvarez, was scheduled to make his Showtime debut against Diaz on Nov. 8 before the card was cancelled. Alvarez had the same clause in his contract as Diaz allowing him to fight in Japan as long as it did not interfere with his Elite duties.
Alvarez said he was currently weighing his options with manager Monte Cox.
"He wants me to sit still a little bit so we can try to get something a little more secure and sign with a promotion that's going to take care of us financially and get us the right opponents," Alvarez said.
Alvarez says he's in shape and is ready to fight any time. A fight against Diaz in Japan would certainly interest him.
"That's a great idea," he said. "Right now, I think his main focus is signing with an organization and keeping me fighting. We want to do that in the United States, as well as Japan, but we don't have any US promotions, right now, to do that."