A coal carrying merchant ship operating on the coast of England, named the Bethia, was purchased by the Admiralty,renamed the Bounty, and recommissioned in 1787 for a special mission
The Bounty was incredibly small when one considers her mission. She was 90 feet 10 inches long with a beam of 24 feet 4 inches and a draft of 11 feet 4 inches.
She had no superstructures; all accommodations and facilities were below deck. Her three masts varied in height from 48 to 59 feet. There were three yards on the fore- and mainmasts, two on the mizzenmast. Under the bowsprit there was a figurehead portraying a woman in a riding habit.